How to Overcome Language Barriers With a Mail-Order Bride
Every, almost every international marriage gets affected by language barriers. On the one hand, the fact that two in a couple don’t speak the same language perfectly may unite them as they will try to resort to body language and other non-verbal contacts. But on the other hand, language barriers can turn a mere communication into a struggle.
Whatever the outcome is, linguistic obstacles can still be a litmus test for your relationship. It will help you to understand whether both of you are ready to work for your common future and be patient with each other. If you want to overcome language barriers, we are going to tell you how to do it. But at first, let’s take a look at adverse effects of linguistic pitfalls.
How Does The Language Barrier Affect Your Relationship?
Quality of communication may suffer because she doesn’t speak English well and you don’t, e.g., Chinese or Russian. Here are a handful of examples:
Basic vocabulary will help both of you understand each other sufficiently. Nevertheless, one day you will see that you need to talk about your feelings, and one (or two) of you will lack a vocabulary to express that. Hence, you will feel less attached emotionally.
The lack of lexis will also make it troublesome for you to share views on life or transfer your thoughts on a particular matter. Differences in culture and verbal interpretation may lead to misunderstandings, so you should brace for quarrels that may pop up on this basis.
Another problem is that it might be challenging for both of you to have fun together. Humor is specific in each language, and sometimes it is not possible to translate some things literally or to explain them in other words as the humoristic part will disappear.
As both of you don’t understand each other well, you will often get distracted, losing the flow of ideas when listening and thinking about choosing a right word or grammar when speaking next.
How to Overcome Language Barriers?
The recipe is simple:
- Study the language of your partner. But serious: take up some courses or get a tutor. It is the best option if you want to learn it all.
- Communicate non-verbally. Sometimes it is useful to forget the language. You’ve got glancing, gestures and facial expressions, so play games! Moreover, you can try something more intimate than that – your bodies will speak for themselves.
- Help your partner but don’t be too intrusive. Assist her in learning your language: explain slang, colloquialisms, and correct mistakes. However, don’t sound like a teacher. You aren’t at school, after all.
- Be simple. To understand each other better, make sure both of you choose words correctly. First of all, they should be simple. Secondly, avoid words with dubious meaning. This will help you to optimize communication and dodge misunderstandings.
- Be patient. There is no better advice than this: you cannot help each other understand your languages better unless you are patient. It may take years to master a language, so brace for more challenges.
After all, remember that the language of true love is a universal idiom, and if there are genuine feelings, no obstacles will bar you from each other.